Great Time To Be a Phillies Fan. But Can You Be An Objective Reporter At The Same Time?

CLEARLY, ON THE day after the Phillies topped the Dodgers 3-2 in the National League Championship Series, it is an excellent time to be a Phillies fan.

Tyler Kepner, a New York Times sports reporter, wrote about his love for the Phillies in the Times a few days ago:

If you could relive the happiest moment of your childhood, what would it be? I’m lucky, I suppose, because I never have to think twice.

It was Oct. 8, 1983, a quarter of a century ago Wednesday. I was 8, and nothing mattered as much as the Philadelphia Phillies. My hero was Steve Carlton. My favorite place was Veterans Stadium. That night, Carlton pitched the Phillies into the World Series at the Vet.

There were almost 65,000 fans in that concrete bowl, chanting “Beat L.A.! Beat L.A.!” all game long. Never has a cheer been so impassioned without the use of a profanity.


The question I have for you is this: with Kepner's undying love for the Phillies now broadcast to the world, can you trust his daily reporting on the NLCS to be fair and balanced? Do you think the folks in Los Angeles read Kepner's stuff with mistrust?

Should reporters put their opinions out there for the world to see? Or should they simply report?

(photo is by Reuters via the NYTimes)

0 comments:

Post a Comment